Instagram introduced reels in 2020. They are short videos, no more than 90 seconds long, meant to be competition for TikTok’s iconically short-form videos. Since then, reels have been one of the highest ranking forms of Instagram content, serving as a great way to grow your audience, share information, and express yourself.
How To Do A Reel On Instagram
Reels have been shown to increase engagement. But how do you make a reel on Instagram?
While learning how to make Instagram reels can appear overwhelming, the process is straightforward and intuitive in practice. Instagram has customized the reel-making and reel-posting process to be simplistic, with editing features, guidance prompts, and examples. Overall, making your own will include:
- Coming up with a concept
- Shooting or uploading clips
- Adding music
- Editing your reel
How To Create Instagram Reel
Let’s break down how to create reels on Instagram by each step, so you can feel confident making your own:
Come up with your concept
The first step is your concept. Consider these questions:
- What do you want to say?
- How will it relate to your other posts?
- Who is your audience?
- How will your content be relevant to the viewer and this point in time?
Of course, the answers don’t have to be groundbreaking. Much of the reel-making process is about having fun, and being informative or entertaining. If you’re a casual user, it can even be a simple way to share thoughts or capture moments to be viewed later by friends. Just make sure your reels have a purpose of some kind.
Shoot your reel
Once you know what the reel should contain, it’s time to film it.
- Swiping right on the home screen. This will take you to the Instagram stories tool.
- From here, choose Reel, found at the bottom of the screen.
- Tapping on the + icon on the top left of your screen. Then, choose Reel.
- Once there, press the camera icon on the top right of your screen.
- To shoot a reel, simply hold a recording button at the base of the screen.
With the filming handled, the next step is learning how to create an Instagram reel with music. Music has been shown to increase audience engagement, enhance the message of your video, or even be foundational for the humor or point you’re making.
- You can add music from Instagram’s music library by tapping the audio icon on the left of the screen.
- You can also upload your audio by tapping the audio icon, then Import.
Editing is perhaps the most complicated step, but it’s necessary for the cohesion and quality of your reel. Tap Next on the bottom left of the screen and then tap Edit clips.
There are three ways you can edit clips from here.
- Shorten clips: Tap on a clip; the clip will expand. Tap and drag on the corners of the clip to shorten it.
- Rearrange a clip: Hold your finger down on a clip. It will enlarge; you can now move it to where you want in the video.
- Delete a clip: Tap the clip and a delete button will appear. Alternatively, hold your finger on a clip; a minus button will appear at the upper left corner of all clips.
In this new editing menu, you can also add effects. Find them at the top of the screen. You can:
- Add text
- Add stickers
- Add AR effects
- Put on filters
- Add audio, if you haven’t done so in the previous step
Click Next when you’re done and proceed to the next menu.
In this menu, you can:
- Edit your reel’s cover
- Add a caption
- Tag people
- Determine where it will be shared
Once you’re pleased with the result, tap Share at the bottom of the screen. Congratulations, you’ve successfully learned how to make a reel on Instagram.
How To Do Instagram Reels That Grab Attention
If you want to know how to do reels on Instagram that your audience will love, you need to follow some best practices. These include:
- Keep it short: Keep your reels 8-10 seconds long, so they will hold your audience’s attention.
- Use good music: Instagram will promote reels that use the same tracks as trending reels.
- Use captions: Captions make your reels accessible to those who watch without sound and those with hearing difficulties.
Can you repost a video as a reel?
You can repost a video as a reel—just make sure it doesn’t contain logos and watermarks from other apps. Instagram has stated that videos which are visibly reposted from others won’t be recommended as often.
There’s no quick way to repost a video as a reel. To do so, you have to upload a shorter version of the video (up to 90 seconds) and then publish it as a reel.
How do you make a reel with an existing video?
It’s easy to learn how to make reels on Instagram if you already have a video on hand. Click the + sign on the bottom left of the screen. If your video is horizontal, you can easily make it vertical by tapping the Scale icon.
Is it better to post a video or reel on Instagram?
It’s hard to determine whether or not reels do better than videos. After all, according to a Twitter post by Instagram, posts and reels are ranked using the same analytic factors. Nonetheless, there is evidence that using reels can boost engagement.
At the end of the day, consistently posting high-quality, purposeful content is the key to growing your audience.