It wasn’t that long ago, so you probably remember a time before every moment imaginable was routinely captured on film or camera. Memories would live on in the quiet space of your own mind in those days, and you’d get nostalgic over “props” like worn-out movie tickets, seriously uncool outfits, and pop songs from a certain year.
Instagram has really changed the way we interact with our memories — because here’s the thing. We slightly rewrite the past every time we call up a memory. Now, we can’t just find old Instagram posts and share them again as throwback moments, but we can also see what our followers said about those times as they unfolded!
Think of Instagram as a documentarian, if you like — and you’re its curator whenever you post memories captions for Instagram. That sounds like quite a responsibility, doesn’t it? It only makes sense that you welcome a little help as you brainstorm caption ideas.
We’ve got you covered! You can use the throwback Instagram captions on this list in any way you like — whether that means posting them as they are or adding your own unique twist. Still looking for the best way to capture those fleeting moments of the past that now live on in your memories and on Instagram? We’ve also got some tips and tricks to make it easier!
How to Write Great Memory Captions for Instagram
Whether you’re writing throwback captions for Instagram for people who lived those special moments with you, or you’re letting your newer followers in on a particularly personal memory (childhood photos, anyone?), there’s a trick to writing great captions.
Don’t just describe what the old photo you’re sharing is all about — make it fun! Here’s how:
- Use your looking back captions for Instagram to tell a story, complete with vivid and mysterious language. Share anecdotes, tell tales of the people you lived through those moments with, or reflect on how you’ve grown since the photo was taken.
- Everyone loves a good laugh! If at all possible, add a touch of humor to your memories Instagram captions. Keep it lighthearted, and your followers are sure to enjoy your throwback posts!
- When in doubt, you can’t go wrong with asking questions or inviting your Instagram followers to share their own memories in the comments. You could even start a little challenge and invite people to post their most cringeworthy or sweetest high school photos, for example!
- Adding meaningful quotes is another powerful way to make your captions about memories more engaging. This approach comes with the added bonus of not having to cook up a caption from scratch!
Still not sure how to make your memories come to life on your Instagram feed? Scroll down to discover examples, and let your imagination run free!
Sweet Making Memories Captions for Instagram
- Whenever I look back on the amazing memories we’ve made together, I think to myself — let’s add some new ones!
- Baking beautiful memories into the cake of life.
- Capturing the magic of life, one memory at a time.
- Here’s one for eternity: Dancing the night away with my favorite people, right into the future.
- Had an amazing time. What part will you still remember in 10 years?
- Unforgettable moments, unforgettable people.
- Saving this one for later in case I develop dementia.
- Because memories need to be shared!
- But the best times… the best times touch your soul and become an indelible part of you.
- Laughter, love, and memories, these are the things a life well-lived is made up of.
Funny Memory Captions for Instagram
- Some of the best mysteries are locked in your memories. (Let them free, and they’ll haunt you forever, lip liner and all!)
- Someone’s gotta give you something to laugh at in 10 years, right? (I know it’s embarrassing now, but no pain, no gain, right?)
- Eye shadows of times past.
- We got lost, but the memory had no such luck.
- Remember where you came from: Spice girls and pacifier necklaces.
- Don’t remember? Always happy to help you. Let me remind you!
- Some of the best moments feature baggy pants and butterfly hair clips. Sorry, not sorry.
- These are the days we won’t forget — I’ll make sure of it.
- I have no idea what’s going on in this photo, but something tells me it’s it’s worth sharing.
- Every snapshot tells a story. This one reminds you you’re older and wiser now.
Nostalgic Take Me Back Instagram Captions
- Remember when this used to be our favorite hangout, and the owner would kick us out at closing time?
- I don’t want a do-over. I want a do-it-again.
- Before the era of endless photos, memories were stitched together with threads of outfits, songs, and terrible makeup.
- The bricks of our lives are built with memories just like these. Thanks for being my foundation.
- That time we got lost, discovered an old cafe, and ended up having the best day ever.
- Look how much fun we used to have!
- Nothing is truly lost if we remember it, and some of the best moments are captured on camera.
- Sorry, my younger self didn’t know how to take great photos — but at least she knew how to have fun!
- Throwback to the time of test anxiety, sleepovers, and angry parents. Those were the days!
- Making sure these moments will never fade, one throwback post at a time.
Reflective Throwback Captions for Instagram
- To turn a popular saying upside down, glad it’s over, sad it happened.
- These are the days we won’t forget… because Instagram won’t let us!
- You’ve got 99 problems, and this blast from the past may just be another one.
- OMG! How long ago was this?
- I don’t remember taking this photo, and I might not remember sharing it on Instagram, either.
- What were we even thinking back then!?
- So young, so stupid, such terrible fashion choices. And yet, those were some of the best moments!
- When you forget the lyrics but are still brave enough to do karaoke.
- Every mistake is a learning opportunity.
- Can I get a one-way ticket back here, please?
Family Memories Instagram Captions
- The best memories feel like hot cocoa on a snowy day.
- Still weird. Just weird and old now.
- Good times become memories, bad times become nightmares, and these Christmas sweaters become horror movie props.
- Memory — a special way to hold onto the things that matter most.
- Lost in thoughts of simpler days.
- Grandma’s lasagna is the portal to my childhood.
- I still see her waving at me from the porch. I still smell her freshly baked cookies.
- Time passes, but the door to those sweet, silly, fun moments is always open.
- Family time: Use every opportunity to create beautiful memories to fight with your siblings instead.
- Remember how you used to tease me? Favor returned.
Unforgettable Friendship Moments Captions for Instagram
- Friends never let friends forget about the best moments… no matter how embarrassing they were.
- Let’s do it again sometime!
- The secret ingredient in my dinner parties? It was always you!
- Legacy of laughter.
- You don’t have to learn from your mistakes, but you should definitely take pictures.
- An oldie but a goodie.
- Let’s be old friends until we’re senile and then start all over again as new friends.
- Yes, but my heart can’t stop smiling whenever I look at this picture.
- Midweek boost — a throwback to the carefree days.
- Remember when we didn’t talk to each other for a month because we had a crush on the same guy? This is me moping alone because everything is better with you.
Happy Memory Instagram Captions
- Who knew that we’d still be laughing about it 10 years later?
- Nostalgic for the good old times!
- The best journeys are paved with laughter and memories.
- You, me, and the sweetest memory.
- A glimpse of a carefree, happy past.
- Ice cream, sprinklers, giggles, and fun.
- I’m not crying. You are.
- Life is woven from a tapestry of memories. Make them beautiful.
- Proof time travel is real.
- These happy memories are my love language.
Cringe Throwback Instagram Captions
- Funny how time transforms everything cool into cringe.
- “Get ready with me” — 2001 edition.
- “It’s not a phase, mom. It’s who I am!”
- A treasure chest full of memories? More like Pandora’s box.
- Echoes of a past better forgotten.
- Be glad all the dreams you had back then didn’t come true. Just imagine!
- Memories are forever. Sorry about that.
- Traveling back in time with a heart full of malice, LOL. Remember when we thought this was cool?
- Remember this? Unfortunately, so do I.
- We banish the Monday Scaries with dreadful pictures from times past.
Beautiful Quotes for Looking Back Captions for Instagram
- “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” — Robert Breault
- “We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams.” — Jeremy Irons
- “What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.” ― Karl Lagerfeld
- “The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.” ― LP Hartley
- “Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness.” — James Thurber
- “Look back at your life, It’s always the hardest times that made you who you are.” — Casey Neistat
- “The past beats inside me like a second heart.” — John Banville
- “Stop looking back when your future is ahead of you.” — Ricky Maye
- “The one thing I need to leave behind is good memories.” — Michael Landon
- “I’ve never particularly liked the idea of looking back; I’d rather look forward.” — Jane Asher
Short Memories Captions for Instagram
- Smile because it happened.
- The kind of bliss lost in the passage of time.
- Those were the days!
- Blast from the past!
- Always keep looking at the world with wonder.
- Time flies, but memories are forever.
- Memories are my favorite place to be.
- Home is wherever we make beautiful memories.
- Some memories go deep.
- Nostalgia vibes only.
Creative Writing Prompts for Memories Captions for Instagram
We hope our examples inspired you to create an awesome memories caption for Instagram, but some moments are extra special — and they deserve captions written from scratch. Whether you look back at your 2017 Instagram captions with fondness in your heart or you’ve got the cutest childhood photos ever, we can help you!
These creative writing prompts should make it super easy to craft a unique memories caption for Instagram! We’ve started the sentences off for you, but the way you finish the story determines how your Instagram followers will react!
- The scent of that day still lingers in my memory, reminding me that…
- In a galaxy far, far away…
- Every time I see… it makes me right back to…
- We found a quiet corner in the maze of our memories and shared a secret about…
- The one thing I learned that year that I still live by is…
- The soundtrack to my childhood, the portal to my…
- Even the moments I’d rather forget are…
- We had it all wrong, but at least…
- This glance says…
- The taste of… still brings back memories of…
FAQ About Memory Instagram Captions
What makes take me back Instagram captions stand out?
Memory captions are nothing new on Instagram — think about Throwback Thursdays! The best ones, the ones that truly capture your followers’ hearts, tell a story that immerses your readers in the moment. Funny memory captions are another clear winner, especially if they’re about relatable situations everyone in your generation can recognize.
How can I get more comments on my moments captions for Instagram?
Memory posts generally get a lot of likes and comments, but when in doubt, tag the people in the picture with you to make sure they see your post and caption. Childhood photos are another easy way to attract comments, because most of your followers will be thrilled to share in your early moments.
What are the best kinds of memories to share on Instagram?
Group photos with your friends, old family photos, childhood photos, and fashion fails are some of the biggest hits on Instagram. Old pet photos are another tearjerker, along with any other picture that induces sweet feelings of nostalgia.
What hashtags should I add to my making memories captions for Instagram?
Are you posting pictures you’re sure you’ll want to look back on in 10 years, or are you taking a trip down memory lane? You have a lot of attention-grabbing hashtags to choose from, and many of them add character to your memory captions.
Some of our favorites are #momentsintime, #throwbackthursday, #flashbackfriday, #capturedmemories, #memorylane, and #goodmemory.