Since it was created in 2010, Instagram has been a visual medium where stunning images excel and grab attention. In fact, it still is – this is shown by the fact that carousels are the post most likely to get high rates of engagement.
However, video content has increasingly grown in popularity in the last few years, with Instagram pivoting to compete with platforms like TikTok. This benefits creatives too; video content offers a more versatile and dynamic way to communicate with and entertain your followers. As such, it’s quickly catching up to carousel posts in terms of engagement.
Do you know how to make videos on Instagram?
How to Make Instagram Videos
There are three main kinds of video posts on Instagram: posts, reels, and IGTV videos. Of course, you can also post videos to your Instagram stories, but these disappear within 24 hours.
Making a video for Instagram can be achieved through the app or with your phone’s camera. However, the length of the video you create will impact which format you can post in.
How to Make Instagram Videos In-App
If you want to simplify the process, record your video using the Instagram app. The benefit of this is the simplicity of the process. The downsides are the lower image quality, and the fact that you cannot make videos for IGTV in-app.
Here’s how to make a video in the Instagram app:
- Open your Instagram app and press the (+) icon.
- Stay in the default post option, or choose ‘Reel’ or ‘Story’ from the list at the bottom of the camera section on the screen.
- Record your video by pressing the circular icon (reel) or pressing and holding it (post).
- Once you have a video that you’re happy with, progress to the next screen to edit your video. If you make a reel, you can add effects and music to this video.
- Press the arrow at the top of the screen to progress. If you have chosen to make a story, it will be uploaded. If you choose a reel or a post, you will have the opportunity to add a text description and hashtags.
- Upload your post.
With that in mind, this is a straightforward process that you can undertake anywhere, so long as you have a stable internet connection. However, if you want a video with better overall image and audio quality, you should use your phone’s camera to record.
How to Make a Video for Instagram with Your Phone’s Camera
Making a video for Instagram with your phone’s camera is easy. All you need to do is record a video as you normally would, then follow the steps listed above – with the exception of recording your video. Instead, enter your camera roll and choose the video that you want to upload at this stage.
- If your video is over 90 seconds in length, you will have to upload it as a post (reels can only be 90 seconds long), and it will be turned into an IGTV video.
- If it’s up to a minute long, you can post it as a normal, in-feed post
- If it’s up to 90 seconds long, you can create a reel with it.
The editing options you have in-app will depend on what kind of post you are making. Alternatively, you can use apps like CapCut to make more refined edits before uploading your video.
How to Make a Video for Instagram with Pictures
A way to merge the original Instagram focus on images with the newer video features is to make a video slideshow with pictures. You can do this by following the steps listed above, but entering your camera roll rather than capturing a picture in-app.
- Once inside your camera roll, press the icon that looks like two overlapped squares to select multiple images.
- Choose the images you want to include in your video and then press ‘Next.’
- After this, you will be prompted to choose music.
- You will have the option to sync the progression of your pictures to the music. However, you can also manually edit the length of time that each picture shows within the video.
- Once you have completed your video, upload it as described above.
Which kind of video gets the best engagement on Instagram?
Reels and story videos are the most likely to get high rates of engagement, while in-feed videos are the least engaged with type of content on average.
Can I add links to my videos on Instagram?
You can add clickable links to videos in your Instagram stories with a sticker, but your ability to add links elsewhere on Instagram will be limited to your bio or to an Instagram ad.
Can I use stock footage in my Instagram videos?
As long as you use royalty-free stock videos, or videos that you have paid for permission to use, you can use stock videos for your Instagram reels and posts. Websites such as Pexels offer royalty-free stock videos.
Supercharge your Instagram engagement with Twicsy. Buy Instagram comments, likes, followers, and views.