If you’re a new Instagram user, there are many functions and features to get used to. However, you should not worry, as Instagram is a highly user-friendly platform. Since it has millions of users worldwide, its interface has been designed to be as universally recognizable and usable as possible.
If you use Instagram to connect with family and friends, or even if you are trying to develop brand awareness and find new customers, knowing how to use the direct message (DM) feature is crucial. This simple, step-by-step guide will help you understand what the DM feature is for, how it works, and how to use it.
What Does DM Mean on Instagram?
On Instagram the abbreviation DM stands for direct message; this is Instagrams internal instant messaging service and it can be used to connect with people you know or new people. Whether you are trying to chat to friends or you want to reach out to potential customers as a part of your marketing strategy, this is an incredibly useful feature.
What is Instagram Direct Message Used For?
As previously stated, Instagram DMs an instant messaging feature, but what you use this service for is entirely up to you. Here are the most common uses for Instagram DMs:
- Chatting with family and friends
- Meeting new people
- Generating and converting leads
- Connecting with brands and potential clients
Instagram used to be all about social connections, but it is now a powerful marketing tool and a platform where businesses and content creators can find their ideal audience.
How to Send a DM on Instagram
So, now you know what an Instagram DM is and what the feature is used for. How can you send a DM for the first time? It’s simple; just follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app, and log in if you need to.
- Navigate to the profile you want to send a message to.
- You can find it by using the search function. Do so by pressing the icon that looks like a magnifying glass.
- Once on their profile, press the ‘Message’ button.
- In the messaging screen, press the text bar and enter your message.
- Then press the send icon that looks like a paper plane.
- Alternatively, you can press the paper plane icon at the top right-hand of your feed.
- Then press the icon that looks like a post-it note with a pencil on it.
- Choose a person from the suggested list, or search for an account.
- Then write and send your message.
Can I stop someone from messaging me on Instagram?
The only way to prevent someone from messaging you on Instagram is by blocking them. You can do that through the chat thread or via their profile. If going through a message thread:
- Press the account name at the top of the screen.
- Then press the three-dots icon on the next screen.
- This will open a menu that will allow you to block the account.
If going via the accounts profile place:
- Press the three-dots icon.
- Choose ‘Block’ from the menu.
Can I recover deleted Instagram messages?
It is possible to recover deleted Instagram messages by downloading your Instagram data, which you can do by:
- Entering the “Privacy and Security” menu.
- Choosing the “Data Download” option.
- Once you press this option, follow the on-screen instructions to download your data and recover deleted messages.
Can I unsend Instagram DMs?
It is possible to unsend a message that you have sent via Instagram DMs. You can do this by pressing and holding the message to activate a pop-up menu and choosing the “Unsend” option.
This will remove the message from both your thread and the thread of the person you sent the message to. However, there is no guarantee that the person you sent the message to will not have seen it already.
Take your Instagram account to new heights with Twicsy. Buy Instagram video views, likes, followers, and comments.